Office of Student Financial Services

Box 571252, G-19 Healy Hall
Tel: (202) 687-4547
Fax: (202) 687-6542

Email us

The Office of Student Financial Services helps students and their family assess their ability to meet educational costs, awards need-based financial aid packages, and provides information about other options available to finance your expenses. Our staff can help you apply for grants and scholarships, loans, and employment opportunities.

To Apply for Financial Aid

Two initial forms are required to apply for financial aid:

  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • College Scholarship Service (CSS Profile) Financial Aid PROFILE form

These forms can be completed online at our website.

Grants and Scholarships

Several types of grants and scholarships are available to eligible undergraduate students:

  • Need-based scholarships are awarded by Georgetown University that range in value from $1,000 to more than $50,000 based on demonstrated financial need.
  • Outside scholarships and grants are awarded by private sponsors. Visit our website to search for scholarships online.
  • Need-based grants are awarded by some states to eligible students studying at Georgetown.
  • Federal Pell Grants are awarded by the United States Department of Education to students they determine to have significant financial need.
  • Georgetown University receives an allocation of Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) from the federal government each year. The funds are awarded to Federal Pell Grant recipients with the greatest financial need.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program and Private Loan Programs

This is a credit based loan available to parents that allows them to borrow up to their full expected responsibility. To apply, students must first submit the FAFSA. Parents should complete the Federal PLUS Loan application on and sign a master Federal Direct Loan master promissory note.

William D. Ford Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

  • To apply, students must complete the required FAFSA and Federal Direct Loan master promissory note (links available on our website). Another requirement linked on our website is loan entrance counseling, which reviews the borrower’s rights and responsibilities.

Federal Perkins Student Loan

  • Students must complete the required FAFSA and CSS Profile forms online. Recipients of these need-based student loans, upon receipt of an email notification, must sign their master promissory note and complete loan entrance counseling online in order to receive their loan funds. Loan entrance counseling is a federal requirement, which reviews the borrower’s rights and responsibilities.

William D. Ford Direct PLUS Loan

  • To apply, students must submit the FAFSA, complete the application for a Federal PLUS loan on and sign a Federal Direct Loan master promissory note. (links available on our website).

Private Education Loans

  • Private education loans are offered by many lending institutions to assist students and their families with meeting college expenses. Rates and fees vary amongst the different lenders.

Student Employment

  • Contact Us: Information about employment can be found on the Student Employment Office (SEO) website. The SEO is located in suite 304 of the Car Barn at 3520 Prospect St. NW, just two blocks from Main Campus and can be reached at (202) 687-4187 or via email at
  • Browse Job Postings: Open part-time positions at Georgetown and local employers are posted to the Student Employment Office website. This includes Federal Work-Study positions as well as non-Federal Work-Study positions.
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS): This is a need-based, federally funded financial aid program which subsidizes the earnings of eligible students. FWS awards are included as part of an eligible student’s financial aid package.
  • Required Documents: You are required to present the following documentation before your first day of work:
    • An I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification is required by federal employment regulations. You must bring original documentation to prove your identity as well as your eligibility to work in the United States. A complete list of acceptable documents can be found here. 
    • If you are under 18 years of age, you will have to obtain a District of Columbia Work Permit. Proof of date of birth must be provided to obtain a work permit. More information can be found here.

Financial Aid and Your Bill

If you have been awarded financial aid then most of your aid will appear on your bill as either "received/paid" or "memo"

Memo Aid

  • Some awards may appear as "memo" if additional actions by the sponsor of your aid are required before the funds can be disbursed to your student billing account. "Memo" awards reduce the amount you must pay by the payment deadline, but proceeds will not be credited in full to your billing account until all requirements for disbursement have been met. Examples of typical disbursement requirements include completion of a loan application and entrance counseling for federal student loans, or confirmation of enrollment or grades or financial need for state and outside grants. If your actual and "memo" financial aid does not cover the total costs on your bill then you must make arrangements to pay the difference by the payment due date.


  • Expected earnings from part-time employment though the Federal Work Study program will not appear as credits against the balance due on your bill and you may not subtract these expected resources when computing the amount you must arrange to pay by the payment due date. Federal Work-Study funds will be paid directly to you if/when earned.

Outside Grants & Scholarships

  • Outside Grants & Scholarships Should be Reported
    • If you will receive an outside grant, scholarship or third party payment, you must report the type and the amount to the GU Office of Student Financial Services. Under federal law and University policy, Georgetown must consider these payments as resources that help meet your financial need. You can report these expected payments online through your Georgetown MyAccess+ account
  • Grants Dispersed Evenly
    • We will divide your outside scholarship award equally between the Fall & Spring semesters unless otherwise directed by your outside scholarship provider. For example, if your outside grant is for $1000, we will apply $500 to the Fall and $500 to the Spring semester bills. We follow this procedure because most scholarship providers ask us to handle their funds this way, and because federal regulations require us to do so for students receiving need-based financial aid.
  • Verification of Need or Enrollment
    • If your sponsor requires verification of financial need or enrollment, we can assist with this certification. Send requests to the Grant & Scholarship Program Manager in the GU Office of Student Financial Services, Room G-19 Healy Hall, Georgetown Box 571252 or fax to (202) 687-6542.


If you have any questions regarding college costs, you are encouraged to contact our office in G-19 Healy Hall. Visitors are welcome Monday through Friday from 9:00 am– 5:00 pm. For best service refer to the Staff listing for the appropriate referral for further assistance.

You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.